Fence & Wall Permits
Village Code 98-104
"Fences and Walls meeting the requirements set forth below may be installed or constructed upon obtaining a permit from the Building Department or a Special Permit from the Zoning Board of Appeals pursuant to Subsection G (5) hereof, if applicable. (Amended October 17, 1989, by L.L. Number 3-1989)"
- Fences and Walls along a lot line of a residential lot abutting a non-residential lot shall not exceed six feet in height and maybe 100% solid.
- Fences and Walls located within or enclosing all or any part of a rear yard shall not exceed six feet in height and shall not be more than 75% solid. For purposes of this subsection, the longer of two unequal rear yards between adjoining residential properties shall be used to measure the rear yard for a fence or wall on the lot line between such properties.
- Fences and Walls on the rear lot line of a vacant lot shall not exceed six feet in height and shall not be more than 75% solid.
- Fences and Walls located within or enclosing all or any part of a side yard or front yard or in a lot line abutting a street, subject to the provision of Subsection H hereof, shall not exceed four feet in height and shall not be more than 50% solid.
- Where, because of lot configuration on corner lots or vacant lots or because of topography or any other reasons, the strict application of these provisions can not be followed or will cause a conflict between the various provisions as applied to a particular lot, the Board of Appeals shall determine which limitations apply based on the general criteria set forth herein and shall issue a Special Permit in accordance with the provisions of 98-133C.
- The finished side of any fence or wall shall face the adjacent lot or Street, except along a lot adjoining a commercial lot.
- The above provisions do not apply to the installation, construction, or modification of any retaining walls.
On a corner lot in any Residence A-1, A-2, A-3, B-1, or B-2 District, within the triangular area determined as provided in this subsection, no wall, hedge or fence, or other structure shall be erected to a height in excess of 30 inches above the curb level, and no vehicle, object, or any other obstruction of a height in excess of 30 inches above the curb level shall be parked or placed, and no hedge, shrub or other growth shall be maintained at a height in excess of 30 inches above the curb level, except that trees whose branches are trimmed away to a height of at least 10 feet above the curb level shall be permitted. Such triangular area shall be determined by the intersecting street lines and a diagonal connecting two points, one on each street line, each of which points is 20 feet from the intersection of such street lines.